Our Most Successful Fundraising Campaign
Achieving this milestone for Delaware State University is a direct result of the tremendous hard work and dedication of so many. The campaign was launched in January 2011 with a $20 million goal.
The campaign surpassed its $20 million goal in advance of the scheduled December 2016 end, officially concluding on August 31, 2016. The final total is $20,370,762 with 6,488 alumni, friends, organizations, corporations and foundations contributing.
“ As we celebrate this momentous accomplishment, we must acknowledge every single person who has had a hand in making this possible. Thank you! Our success is your success.” Dr. Vita Pickrum, Vice President for Institutional Advancement
A Lasting Impact on Our Students
One hundred percent of the donations from the Greater Than One: Campaign for Students are being used for scholarships, University support, student programs, endowment and faculty support. Over the course of the campaign, over 3,200 scholarships have been awarded to students who now have better access to further their education through enhanced programs, pursue their passions and change their futures.
Campaign Funds Breakdown
Total Raised: $20,370,762
- Scholarships — $6,939,019
- Student Programs — $6,265,226
- University Support — $3,938,960
- Endowed Scholarships — $1,760,932
- Faculty Support — $1,466,625
Deshaun Crawford, Senior Computer Science major
“I knew I had to go to college. The initial start was rough; without enough money, I wasn’t sure how I would make it, but I knew that I would not quit. Then, help came in the form of scholarships. I am so grateful for those of you who have helped to sustain me during this journey and for enabling me to see my goals coming to fulfillment. I will graduate in 2017, thanks largely to your support. Please continue to help individuals like me who depend upon caring individuals like you; your investment in my future will pay dividends from the seeds you have sown into my life. Thank you!”
Kyle Sheppard, Senior Psychology major from New Castle, DE
“The value of scholarship and giving back cannot be overstated, especially on Delaware State University’s campus. After my sophomore year of college, I dropped out due to unmet financial obligations and concerns back at home. Two years later, in 2014, Delaware State University and its campus community and staff provided me with the opportunity to not only return to a classroom, but to finish what I started. Thank you.”
Over the course of the Greater Than One campaign, January 2011 to August 2016, we made many milestones and concluded four months ahead of schedule.
- 5% Alumni Participation Rate
- 1,009 Donors
- $1.4 Million Total Giving
- May 2011: Project Aspire launched to improve the number of students graduating from DSU by the Longwood Foundation $1M scholarship and mentoring support
- June 2011: Renovations initiated on STEM Laboratories thanks to the total support of $600,000 from Good Samaritan Inc., the Welfare Foundation & the Marmot Foundation.
- June 30, 2011 Fiscal Year: Overall Endowment Growth $21,560,546 | 123 President’s Society Donors
- January 2012: The Heart of Delaware Program, a one-year initiative targeting an increase of healthy heart promotion in local churches by the Delaware Center for Health Promotion, kicked off with a $83,453 grant from Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Delaware.
- The Barclays Bank Mentor Program, benefiting College of Business students, was launched. Since the campaign’s start, Barclays has donated $420,000 to this program, which provides stipends, scholarships and mentoring support.
- June 30, 2012 Fiscal Year: Overall Endowment Growth $20,272,888 | 242 President’s Society Donors
- Record-breaking alumni participation 7%
- June 30, 2013 Fiscal Year: Overall Endowment Growth $22,380,766 | 216 President’s Society Donors
- June 30, 2014: Donor Growth 2,000 donors
- Record-breaking Alumni Participation 8%
- 14 endowed accounts established
- Fiscal Year: Overall Endowment Growth $25,599,836 | 262 President’s Society Donors
- May 2014: ETAP in-kind support valued at $430,750 was received for the College of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Technology. The donation includes Academic Edition Software and maintenance for a three-year period.
- July 2014: Largest Endowment for Students: $1,000,000 was received from a donor to support nontraditional students.
- August 2014: DSU participation in the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s HBCUs Pursuing Transformative Change Program began with a planning grant of $75,000.
- November 2014: Largest Alumni Endowment for early childhood education majors $134,076 – Jane Waters Bickham Endowed Scholarship.
- June 30, 2015: Record-breaking Alumni Participation 10%
- Donor Growth 2,265 Donors
- Record-breaking faculty & staff giving $96,456 | 329 donors
- Fiscal Year: Overall Endowment Growth $27,222,311 | 283 President’s Society Donors
- Record-breaking Alumni Participation 11%
- Donor Growth 2,303 Donors
- March 2016: A grant of $200,000 from Barclays Bank provided support in creating a state-of-the-art Mobile App Laboratory, the DSU Training and Technology Center powered by Barclays.
- April 2016: The Verizon Innovative Learning Program was created with the support of a $400,000 gift to help DSU focus on STEM, entrepreneurship, design thinking and mentoring.
- May 2016: Corporate support commemorating DSU’s 125th anniversary from JPMorgan Chase, M&T Bank and Delmarva Power totaled $85,000.