The Mission of the Assessment Office is to oversee a holistic assessment process at the institution. This Office works collaboratively with units to ensure that they are implementing efficient and sustainable assessment plans. This includes verifying that units are collecting data that are used to improve programs/services and enhance student learning. This Office works closely with the Information Technology and Institutional Research units to facilitate data collection and reporting. Furthermore, this Office contributes to the assessment of strategic initiatives and supports efforts to attain and maintain various accreditations. The Assessment Office serves as the primary source for assessment resources, workshops, training, and recent directives from accrediting bodies. Lastly, this Office assists units with the analysis and reporting of assessment data for the purpose of demonstrating that the institutional mission of preparing students to “become competent, productive, and contributing citizens” is being carried out.
Student Learning Goals
Delaware State University provides a wide-range of experiences designed to prepare our graduates to be:
- competent communicators;
- effective inquirers, critical thinkers, and problem-solvers able to use appropriate quantitative and qualitative information;
- ethical, collaborative, and productive citizens of a complex, diverse world;
- independent learners able to integrate knowledge and technology to achieve personal and professional success.
Program Learning Goals are aligned with these Learning Goals. Course Learning Goals are aligned with the Program Learning Goals.
Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
- Measuring Quality in Higher Education
- North Carolina State University library of links
- Northern Illinois University resources
- Society for College and University Planning
- Texas A&M University resources
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AACU)
- Association for Assessment of Learning in Higher Education
- Howard University library of assessment links
Program and Student Learning Assessment
National Institute for Learning Outcomes (NILOA) – An excellent resource for reports about Student Learning Outcomes assessment
Assessment Related Publications
- Middle States Publications available as PDF downloads for printing or for purchase.
- Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education is a quarterly journal on assessment issues/methods. This journal is available from DSU library full text electronic journals (via Ebscohost)
- Assessment Update is available from DSU library full text electronic journals (via Ebscohost). This is a bimonthly newsletter.
- Practical Assessment, Research, and Evaluation is a free-access online journal. Search for articles by title, author, descriptor, and keyword.
- Research & Practice in Assessment is a free-access online journal from the Virginia Assessment Group.
- Academic Leadership is an online journal containing numerous articles on faculty and leadership roles in assessment.
- Quality Approaches in Higher Education is a free-access online journal from ASQ (American Society for Quality) that includes articles on assessing student learning outcomes.
- International Journal of ePortfolio (IJeP) is a free-access online journal containing articles about the use of e-portfolios in assessment.